11 Funny Truths That Only Nurse Couples Will Get!
By Mariam Yazdi, BSN, RN
I suspect it's hard to love a nurse.
1. We get up early or we work all night.
💤 So let us sleep in, let us take naps… basically NEVER wake us if we're sleeping.
2. We come home late and are too tired to cook.
🍕Should you start dinner when we get home? No. Should dinner be ready and served as we walk through the door? Yes.
3. We work extra because we know there are sick people who need us
...And that $overtime$, though.🤑
4. We miss weekend events, holidays, birthdays.
🏥 But in reality, all we have to wear is scrubs and we'd rather sleep anyway.
5. We don't get too excited about your minor "boo-boo".
🌡We have seen far worse. Don't make me check a rectal temp.
6. We don't want to talk when we come home. We have talked all day.
🙊 So shhhhhhh
7. We don't want to move when we come home.
🛋 We have moved all day. This couch no longer belongs to you.
8. It may seem that we have left all our caring, our heart, and our love at work, then have come home to you empty.
😘 We probably have. And also, we're off the clock, so if you want a smile and a pet, pay to play!
9. But we don't tell you that many times at work that we are mired in anxiety, we are scared.
😭 Scared we won't get all our charting done to go home on time.
😱 Scared we are missing something. Scared we will let our patient down or worse.
😬 Scared we will be giving a report to "Nurse Becky," the nitpicky queen.
😵 Scared that we'll have to deal with angry or violent patients and families.
😒 Scared that the morning spent at that mandatory CPI class was a waste of
10. We don't tell you how the staffing crisis makes us cry on the way to work, to do a job we love, but now we are terrified to do because it is breaking us down while putting the most vulnerable at risk.
😿 But mostly we cry because "Nurse Becky" is coming back.
11. I suspect it is hard to love a nurse but know this: Your nurse needs your love. Needs your understanding.
❤️ Needs to know that you "get it".
🍕 Needs you to get them a pizza.
😍 Needs to be the one taken care of every once and a while.
💅🏽 Needs a hair appointment, a brow appointment, and a nail appointment, two weeks ago.
💯 Needs someone else to take charge of the details because doing it themselves constantly is exhausting. Please don't tell me about how you couldn't find the laundry detergent.
👟 Needs their feet rubbed. FYI, these Danskos don't breathe.
❤️ Needs a shoulder to cry on when she can't even tell you why she's grieving.
💜 Needs you to do the hardest work you may ever do, which is to love a nurse...while also taking care of yourself!
I would like to thank those of you out there who love us and let us do this work, this calling, this life:
Nurse.org's Popular Articles and Resources
Best Gifts for Nurses
Tis the season! Check out our list of the top gifts for nurses.
15 Highest Paying Nursing Jobs in 2021
You know all nursing jobs aren’t created (or paid!) equally, but do you know which nurses are making the most money in 2020?
2021's Best Nursing Schools
We've looked at programs nationwide and determined these are our top schools
Start your Career Quiz
Ready to take your career to the next level? Find out what your next step could be.